Bacon Braised Brussels Sprouts
Time saver - purchase brussels sprouts that are already precut and washed. Prep time 5-10 minutes. Cooking time 25 minutes.
Recipe type: Main or side dish
Cuisine: Paleo, gluten free, kid approved
- 5-6 slices organic uncurred bacon
- 1 shallot
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, halved and stemmed
- 2-3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Optional- you can also add a chopped, peeled green apple too
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place bacon on a baking sheet and space out the strips of bacon. Cook until crispy (but not burnt), about 15 minutes.
- When bacon is cooking, chop Brussels sprouts and dice the shallot.
- Remove the bacon from the oven and transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel. Pour 2-3 tbsp. of bacon grease from the baking sheet into a sauté pan.
- Heat sauté pan over medium to medium low heat. Sauté shallot until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add Brussels sprouts to pan. Toss to coat, and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add maple syrup and apple cider vinegar to pan. Toss and coat.
- Sauté for about 7-10 minutes until soft but still green.
- Remove from heat and toss with pomegranate seeds. Serve immediately.