Butternut Squash Curry
Author: Keri Brooks
Recipe type: Dinner
- ½ medium butternut squash or 1 package cubed butternut squash (can also use sweet potatoes or sugar pumpkin)
- 1 lb. Organic chicken and wild shrimp
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2-4 carrots
- ½ to1 red bell pepper sliced
- 4 small zucchinis/squash chopped
- 1 14oz can full fat coconut milk (i like this one because it's BPA free)
- 1 cup chicken stock (bone broth is best)
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- ½ tablespoon turmeric powder
- ½ sea salt or more to taste
- Squeeze of lime
- Optional: 1 bag of spinach and cilantro to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350. Cut the butternut squash in half and remove the seeds. Place squash face down on a cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- In Dutch oven or crockpot sauté the onion, garlic, ginger and add chicken over medium heat.
- Sauté chicken for 5 minutes then add carrots. Once onions become transparent add coconut milk.
- Pour ¼ of the can of coconut milk into pan then turn down to medium low and let it simmer.
- While the coconut milk, onion, carrots, garlic and ginger are simmering, scoop the roasted pumpkin into a food processor or blender along with the remaining coconut water from the can, the chicken broth, and all of the spices. Process or blend until completely smooth.
- Add the zucchini /squash and bell pepper to the soup pot and pour the pumpkin mixture into the pot as well. Mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Add the peeled and de-veined shrimp and (1 bag of spinach)to the curry mixture and cook until the shrimp are pink and firm (about 3-4 more minutes).
- Serve with cilantro garnish
Serving size: 4